Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What’s a Wulver Anyway?

Okay. So I know that most of you, well probably all of you, who come here are going to ask this eventually if not right off. So what IS a wulver and why did he name his blog after it?

Well last things first. Why did I name this place The Wulver’s Stane? Frankly, because I think its cool. With a name like Wolf it’s hard to find a good interesting name that either isn’t taken or doesn’t conjure up images of Native American mysticism. Not that those are bad, I actually like Native American folklore, but I digress. I wanted something that would encompass my love of Fantasy, mythological creatures, and pondering and have a bit of an edge to it also.

Several friends of mine tried to help with ideas but they didn’t work for one reason or another. And so donning my fedora and bullwhip --aka mouse, the fedora is real enough though-- I set out into the steamy depths of the internet to find something fitting. Luckily the internet gods were kind and I found this rather quickly. And when I found it, it just clicked. It was exactly what I wanted.

So onto the first thing. What the heck is it anyway? A Wulver is a scottish werewolf for lack of a better term. It doesn’t change form but it is a wolf-headed man covered in short brown hair. But beyond that a Wulver isn’t aggressive. You leave him alone and he’ll leave you alone, or if you happen to be lost he may help you find where your going. But if your really lucky, and in need of a meal, he may just bring you some fish he caught while standing on his favorite fishing rock, known in Scotland as The Wulver’s Stane.

If you want to see more about this the most referenced place to look is in Jessie M. E. Saxby’s book Shetland Traditional Lore, But that hasn’t been in print for decades so another place to get the info is right here on blogger/blogspot check out Cryptozoo-oscity.blogspot.com and look for the July 1st, 2009 post.
cryptozoo-oscity: Wulver: werewolf or man?

And it's an interesting place to hang out if, like me, you like the things that go bump in the night.

1 comment: